September 2, 2014

Review: Elusion by Claudia Gabel and Cheryl Klam


Title: Elusion (Elusion #1)
Author: Claudia Gabel y Cheryl Klam
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release date: March 18th 2014
Source: Edelweiss
Format: eARC

Rating: 2.5/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository
Soon, Elusion® will change the world and life as we know it.

A new technology called Elusion is sweeping the country. An app, visor and wristband will virtually transport you to an exotic destination where adventure can be pursued without the complications—or consequences—of real life.

Regan is an Elusion insider. Or at least she used to be. Her father invented the program, and her best friend, Patrick, heir to the tech giant Orexis, is about to release it nationwide. But ever since her father’s unexpected death, Regan can’t bear to Escape, especially since waking up from the dream means crashing back to her grim reality.

Still, when there are rumors of trouble in Elusion—accusations that it’s addictive and dangerous— Regan is determined to defend it. But the critics of Elusion come from surprising sources, including Josh, the handsome skeptic with his own personal stakes. As Regan investigates the claims, she discovers a disturbing web of secrets. She will soon have to choose between love and loyalty…a decision that will affect the lives of millions.

Suspense, thrills, and romance fuel this near-future story about the seductive nature of a perfect virtual world, and how far one girl will go to uncover the truth behind the illusions.

Elusion is a book for which I had high expectations because the synopsis sounds really good and after I saw the book trailer it sort of convince me to read it, but unfortunately it was not what I expected or at least the female main character...she drove me crazy more than once, in fact I about to DNF it, because I kept rolling my eyes constantly at how easy Regan believed the accusations that Josh (the handsome and mysterious guy) did about Patrick (her best friend, she had known him all her life). So I started reading it on April and leave it at 50 % of the book because I just could not continue, but I decided to give it a second chance on August and I finally finish it and although isn´t bad since the plot of Elusion is interesting, it was just that Regan sort of grate my nerves, she didn´t end up convincing me.

Regan is the main character, she´s 16 years old and at the beginning we see her with her father on her first visit to Elusion a virtual reality in which she can use a visor and a wristband to enter to various exotic locations (that in their present no longer exist or at least it's not safe to go), this is her father's invention. Sometime later her father dies in an accident and since then she hasn´t return to Elusion, but continues to support the invention of her father, so when she start to see accusations and vlogs telling that Elusion, isn´t safe, that´s addictive and that can harm its user, she initially doesn´t believe it but when someone show her some "evidence" about not been safe she decides to investigate on her own and see if all these claims are real.

Elusion takes place in a futuristic world where it´s no longer safe to walk without oxygen masks because of the pollution levels in the environment and for this reason Elusion is a success, because that way everyone can escape to a safe place and can visit almost any place around the world without leaving home.

I liked the world and the idea of ​​Elusion, but i didn´t like Regan because first a girl, posts a vlog denouncing that Elusion is unsafe, etc. and Regan jumps to defend the invention of her father but when a boy....a handsome boy and the new kid in school ...says almost the same thing as the aforementioned girl....Regan starts to suspect that maybe there is something wrong with Elusion.... I wonder, what would have happened if the boy was unattractive or maybe an older man ...would she have reacted the same way.....I feel that her hormones were fundamental part in her decision..... and for me it was too fast her distrust towards Patrick, her best and only friend of a lifetime, I feel that she must had to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I'm being rather harsh with Regan, and on other times I let it pass some things about some other MC in any other books, but just I didn´t get to care for her.

Overall, the idea and the world building where very creative and interesting, and towards the end there is some action, mystery, a little romance (It didn´t interest me) and the ending was okay; but I'm still not sure I want to read the next book.
This book just wasn’t for me.



Book trailer

3 comments:

  1. Well, this is disappointing
    I have been reading a lot of mixed things about this book
    Though it's interesting but when I can't connect with the main character, everything is ruined.
    great review, though
    Your reader
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited for this one, too. But then the reviews started rolling out for it, and the less excited I became. In the end, I just don't know if it is worth it to even try it out. But if I do get the chance, I might just try because I try not to judge a book without reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read this for awhile now. Like you, I thought is sounded really good. I hate when books let you down!

    ReplyDelete