July 29, 2013

Review: The Rising by Kelley Armstrong


Title: The Rising (Darkness Rising #3)
Author: Kelley Armstrong 
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release date: April 2nd 2013

Rating: 5/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository

You can read my review of The Gathering - hereThe Calling - here
Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the powerful St. Clouds and now a rival Cabal as well, they're quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it's not like they can just go to the authorities for help.

All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they're so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting more and more out of control.

But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she'll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can't keep running forever.

Old secrets are revealed and unexpected characters make a surprising return in this stunning conclusion to Kelley Armstrong's New York Times bestselling Darkness Rising trilogy.

I love the world where it takes place this trilogy, and it´s the same world as Darkest Powers but also is the same world as her adult series Women of the Otherworld, so I felt this book like a farewell to the series I've been following for some time and that I loved so much.

Maya, Daniel, Rafael and Corey have been fugitives since they discovered that they were subjects of an experiment called Phoenix and that they were of a type of supernatural that supposed to be extinct, two rival groups of sorcerers have been on their heels with intention to capture them. In this book, Maya and her friends try to find a way to escape once and for all and be free of  both groups of cabals (groups of sorcerers), and reunited with their families and live a more or less normal life. And to achieved this they need the help of another group of teenagers, who are subjects of the Genesis experiment. This is the part that I was dying to read, the return of the characters of the Darkest Powers trilogy, I couldn't wait to see Chloe, Derek, Simon and Tori.

Since I found out that Chloe and Derek from the Darkest Powers trilogy would be in this book, I put it as a priority to read books, yet I had a bit of fear because my expectations were high. And although the ending is not what I expected or ideal (in my opinion), I can live with it and it is the closest thing to a good ending for the main characters. Another thing that I really liked, was that also make a cameo or make a mention of the characters from the adult series (yay!). And what I love the most was the epilogue because it takes place eight months after the ending and I could see how they are adjusting to their new life and I also like that Maya end up with the guy I expected. This is a book for fans of paranormal and Kelley Armstrong novels.

Book trailer

4 comments:

  1. I am very nervous to read this book. Where I liked the first book in the series, the second not so much. I don't know what I am expecting from this, but from your review it seems it went better than okay. I'll have to pick this up soon to see how the trilogy ends. Glad you enjoyed this!

    Great review! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read the first book of the series but I love the trailer you share! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review and it really made me want to read this trilogy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read the Darkest Powers series. This sounds like it is a rather enjoyable series, but I can't read it until I read the other. I need to hurry it up!!!

    ReplyDelete