February 22, 2013

Fuse by Julianna Baggott


Title: Fuse (Pure #2)
Author: Julianna Baggott 
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Release date: February 19th 2013
Source: Netgalley
Format: egalley

Rating: 4/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository

You can read my review of Pure - here.
When the world ended, those who dwelled within the Dome were safe. Inside their glass world the Pures live on unscarred, while those outside—the Wretches—struggle to survive amidst the smoke and ash.

Believing his mother was living among the Wretches, Partridge escaped from the Dome to find her. Determined to regain control over his son, Willux, the leader of the Pures, unleashes a violent new attack on the Wretches. It’s up to Pressia Belze, a young woman with her own mysterious past, to decode a set of cryptic clues from the past to set the Wretches free.

An epic quest that sweeps readers into a world of beautiful brutality, Fuse continues the story of two people fighting to save their futures—and change the fate of the world.

If you have read Pure the first book in the trilogy, you'll know that this book is not a light read, in this post-apocalyptic world, where the story unfolds, it is not pretty .... is dark, creepy, bizarre, unpredictable and disturbing, but it´s very interesting, intense and has a great world-building.

Fuse begins a few weeks after the events of Pure, each of the protagonists are following with their life, until Ellery Willux decides that he wants his son back, he must return to the dome, so he launches an attack against the wretches and he will not cease until his son is returned, because he has "big" plans for him. This triggers several subplots in the story, but I will not go into detail so as not to spoiler this book, I can only say that the plot is really good and unexpected.

This book is viewed from four different perspectives or POVs of Pressia, Captain, Partridge and Lyda ... and I still think it would have been good idea at least one time include Bradwell.´s POV as well.  All these characters are easy to love and understand, but this time I liked least Lyda's character because while she is learning to be independent, "deprogramming" of her believes from the dome and making her own decisions, but sometimes I felt her very indecisive and doubting her decisions.

And something I would recommend to do before reading Fuse is to re-read Pure, because although there is a reminder of the events of the first book, there were times when I could not remember who they were referring.

Fuse is a very good second book in a trilogy and I feel that in this book we learned a little more about the characters and especially the villain - Ellery Willux, this man is really insane, he has a bizarre vision of the world and of himself. ... he has no respect for anyone's life and has a god complex. Now I cannot wait to read Burn, the last book of the trilogy and with those endings I need to know what will happen next!, I almost had a mini heart attack when I read the words "The End of Book Two".... I want (need) to know what´s going to happen to Bradwell, Pressia, Captain, Partridge and Lyda.

I do recommended this book!, but I do not think this book is appropriate for younger teens or impressionable people, because the world in which the story unfolds is cruel, scary and disturbing.

I want to thank Grand Central Publishing and Netgalley for this review copy.

7 comments:

  1. Pure has been on my shelf for quite some time, but I haven't read it yet. I have now read 2 reviews for Fuse and have decided to move Pure up on the reading schedule. I have heard such great things about it, and now I am hearing great things about this one. I think it is time! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cruel and scary. I like it. I like creepy stories, even horror. I haven't read the first book but I'm definitely interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so awesome. I haven't read Pure yet and I really must dig it out so I can read Fuse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm touch and go with post apocalyptic reads like this. Sometimes the world building is too fantastic I have a hard time imagining and relating to it. The cover is super gorgeous though. Thanks for reviewing this, I've always been curious what this series is about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why have I not heard of this series before!? I will have to remedy that and get them. Thanks for the review!
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool review! I just finished Pure not to long ago, so I am excited to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds epically majestic. Thanks for the review and for putting the series on my radar :)

    ReplyDelete