April 29, 2012

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda



Title: The Hunt
Author: Andrew Fukuda
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release date: May 8, 2012.
Rating: 4/5

Buy it at Amazon | B&N |Book Depository

Andrew Fukuda Website
Read first chapters here

Don’t Sweat. Don’t Laugh. Don’t draw attention to yourself. And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them.

Gene is different from everyone else around him. He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood. Gene is a human, and he knows the rules. Keep the truth a secret. It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.
When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him. He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?

The Hunt is a novel that immediately got me hooked, is a thrilling and terrifying story that had me biting my nails, it´s different of the other dystopian novels that I have read and I really like it.

In this dystopian world the “people” that live in it, have super speed, they´re super strong, the sunlight can be deadly and they lust for blood especially the blood of hepers aka humans. These vampireish creatures are really weird, they hiss a lot, don´t show any emotion, crack their bones, drool, they make my skin crawl. They´re really creepy.

Gene is a heper that live among them and he may be the last one of his kind, because apparently the hepers are an extinct species. The book is told from Gene POV, he´s seventeen years old and he pretends to be something that he is not; he needs to blend in, in a society where he is the main course, where he can be eaten if his true nature is discovered, so he must keep his true self a secret. To keep his identity hidden, he must meticulously groom and scrub down daily to remove body odor, file his nails, shave his body hair and all the things that can give him away as a heper. Gene is very intelligent and a survivor and he know what to do to survive.

At some point in the book there is an announcement that there are hepers alive and they ´re going to organize a hunt, the hunters going to be selected by lottery and Gene is the lucky one that wins one spot in the hunt. Now he must join the hunt and keep secret his true identity, because otherwise he might end dead.

The ending got me hooked; now I really want to know what happens next.

The Hunt is a must read if you love dystopian novels with a supernatural twist.

UK Book trailer

8 comments:

  1. * squeaks * I loved this book two and totally agree with your review. I cannot wait for book two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This book looks fantastic. I really need to get a copy of it! :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your review. Will add this to my tbr list. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds good. The story was interesting, make me want read this book. Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hunt was an enjoyable book. But does it compare to the Hunger Games? I thought it was comparable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had this one on my wishlist since I first saw the cover and read the blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The Hunt. The "people"/vampires were totally creepy. And OMG that ending....can't wait to read the next book. And I hadn't see the trailer, so thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard nothing but great things about this book. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I absolutely plan to. Especially now that The Prey is released. I haven't read any reviews for that one, but I don't doubt that it was just as great. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete