March 17, 2012

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers


Title: Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1)
Author: Robin LaFevers
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Release date: April 3, 2012.
Rating: 5/5

Read the Excerpt
Author Website
Grave Mercy Website
But it at: Amazon | B&N | BookDepository


Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?
The story takes place in Brittany 1845. Ismae Rienne is 14 years old at the beginning of the story, the daughter of a farmer and an unwanted child because of her true lineage, she´s actually daughter of the god of death. Her “father” sells her into an arranged marriage with the pig farmer and she is rescued by a priest and that sent her to a convent that serves to St. Mortain the patron saint of death. There she is given a choice to serve St. Mortain and be trained as an assassin or sent away to get married to a gentle man. She decides to stay at the convent and learn the arts of death.
Ismae as a daughter of St. Mortain has powerful gifts that help to do her work.
Three years have passed and Ismae now 17 years old is sent to her most important assignment, to infiltrate into the high court with the help of a reluctant Gavriel Duval. Her mission is to protect Anne a 13 years old girl that upon her father's death, she became sovereign Duchess of Brittany and was plunged into fresh crisis with France.
Grave Mercy is a historical fiction novel that has intrigue, romance, fantasy and mystery.Grave Mercy is beautiful written and is told from Ismae´s point of view. Ismae is strong, intelligent, smart, a mature girl, a trained assassin and she mistrusts everyone around her. Duval is a strong young man, intelligent and gentle (at least with Ismae), I really liked Duval a lot and I can´t say more about it because I don´t want give away spoilers.

This is an amazing book, once I started reading I couldn't put it down, it keeps me on my toes, guessing all the time and having suspicions of everyone.

I love this book so much! I highly recommend it!

Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and  Netgalley for the opportunity to read Grave Mercy.

Quotes:

“If you choose to stay, you will be trained in His arts. You will learn more ways to kill a man than you imagined possible. We will train you in stealth and cunning and all manner of skills that will ensure no man is ever again a threat to you.”

“there is a hint of concern. It is this kindness of his that unsettles me most. I can dodge a blow or block a knife. I´m impervious to poison and know a dozen ways to scape a chokehold or garrote wire. But kindness? I do not know how to defend against that.”
“Surely He does not give us hearts so we may spend our lives ignoring them.”

Book Trailer

17 comments:

  1. Your review is so great! Can't wait to read this book.

    Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved your review..this was an awesome book and I look forward to book two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt via Netgalley too! Oh, I agree! It kept me on my toes. It's just a very exciting read. I gave it 5 stars too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked it! I really enjoyed this one as well. Ismae is def. a kick-butt female lead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked it! I actually just bought this one and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been curious about this book for a while. I have to admit I fell in love with the cover. I am glad to learn that what is between the covers is just as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I've been eyeing this book for awhile now but now after reading your review I'm full on staring at it XD
    I adore books that keep me on my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. loved the review! I've heard that the book is really awesome (most reviews are very positive!) but I liked the quotes that you picked (and I hadn't checked out the trailer!)

    might have to get it sooner rather than later
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOoohhh!!! I've read this, I reviewed it too :) though mine is slightly less understandable hehehe

    I love your review.
    can't wait til book 2!


    Ro,
    Far Past Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been hearing so many good things about this book I am definitely going to have to get this book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im glad you highly recommend a historical fiction. I am not really sure if id read a book that is like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read a lot of rave reviews about this book. Thanks for sharing. I think I'll have to put it on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one sounds really interesting and unlike anything else I have read! Thanks for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book Blew. Me. The. HECK. AWAY! It was stunning, amazing, a masterpiece and I loved every single word on every single page! Thanks for the fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard so many good things about this book that I don't know what am I waiting for... And you review just makes me want to read it right now... Ahhh, I need to pick it up today!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read such amazing things about this book! Enjoyed reading your review as well :) Will get to it one day...hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have won this in a giveaway and I really think it sounds great but unfortunately, I sill have not read it yet. Great review ad I love the quotes! :)

    ReplyDelete